problem with pop3d, messages can be downloaded multiple times

Cristian Mitrana cristian.mitrana at online.ie
Wed Dec 7 04:53:07 EST 2005

Timo Veith wrote:
> Joseph Brennan schrieb:

>> Good!  I didn't have a chance to ask about this yet.
>>
>> We're seeing this too, as we begin to put pop users on our new Cyrus
>> system.  Of course it only *can* happen when they leave on server.
>>

>>> Could this be a database issue, where cyrus cannot recognize that the
>>> client already downloaded the messages?
>>

>> The client keeps track of what it has downloaded, so it's more like
>> the other way around.
[..]
> Hi Joseph,
>
> I have searched the archive and found another thread. It describes the
> same problem. But no real solution ...  ok one could say "don't use
> broken mail clients" but, that is unrealistic. I cannot enjoin my users
> from using Outlook/OE.
>
> http://asg.web.cmu.edu/archive/message.php?mailbox=archive.info-cyrus&msg=32442

[..]

  I had the same issue with Outlook (not OE though) with POP3 and I
enabled the logging for that particular user, and cyrus clearly was not
at fault. When Outlook asked for the messages UID list, the list was the
same every time, so cyrus is sending the correct answer.
   I remember seeing this problem in MS KB, try updating Outlook,
install the latest patches and test again, it's clearly a Outloook bug
(and the answers from the list have clearly stated that, it's not a
patronising tone, it's just reality).
   I have no experiences with Pegasus mail, but try and enable logging
for a particular account and look how the client gets the message list,
but I doubt it has to do with Cyrus.

mitu