unixhierarchy from false to true

NM Public agorae+--info-cyrus at nm.deflexion.com
Tue Aug 30 11:34:30 EDT 2005

On 30 Aug 2005, Scott Russell wrote:
> Charles Marcus wrote:
>> What is the advantage/disadvantage? Is the only difference the ability to
>> use the dot in foldernames? In other words, if you set this to true, do you
>> *lose* anything?
>
> You loose the ability to have a / in mailbox names and gain the ability to
> have a . in mailbox names :)

Another issue is that if unixhierarchy is true, plus addresses
will look like this:

  username+directory/mailbox at example.com

instead of

  username+directory.mailbox at example.com

Does anyone know if any mail servers have a problem with a '/' in
the left hand side of an email address? On my IMAP Service
Providers page in this section:

  <http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/imap/isps/#chooseID>

I say:

  --- begin quote ---
the user-name part of an email address must be less than or equal
to 64 characters and cannot contain any of the following
characters:

   < > ( ) / , ; : @ "
  --- begin quote ---

I'm wondering two things: 1] Is what I wrote about user-name
restrictions true? and 2] Are there some mail servers that don't
like '/' anywhere in the left hand side of an email address?

Any thoughts about this are welcome,
Thanks,
  Nancy
   (trying out a new plus address)

--
Nancy McGough ~ <http://www.ii.com> ~ <http://deflexion.com>
   IMAP, pine, procmail, data deflexion, infinity, and more