"Message contains invalid header"

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Wed Aug 24 14:53:18 EDT 2005

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, Etienne Goyer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with thunderbird and Cyrus 2.2.12.  One of my user is trying
> to transfer messages that have been downloaded from a POP account.  When he
> try to drag the message from his POP account folder in Thunderbird to a Cyrus
> IMAP account folder, he receive an error "Message contains invalid header".
>
> Looking at the message source, I can see that this message have an SMTP
> envelope header "From blabla..." at the top.  I guess that this is the
> problematic header.  Is this the case ?  If yes, is there a workaround ?
>
> What is really mystifying me is that some other message that also have the
> "From blabla" header import correctly.  This make me doubt it's this
> particuliar header that is problematic.

I ran into this problem when I migrated from uw-imap to cyrus-imap.  The
scripts that I used/wrote stripped out the "From foo.." header.  Those
headers were only supposed to be used as message separaters in the unix
mbox format, not displayed to clients.  Go figure.

I can't explain why some work and some don't.

 	Andy