HOWTO exim 4.5 + cyrus 2.1 on debian

Derek Stevenson dls at navanax.com
Sun Aug 21 12:51:07 EDT 2005

I've put together this little howto after having received some nice help
from people on these lists.  I hope some newbies will find it useful.  I
realize it's a simplistic setup; my goal is to provide instructions to
get up and running as quickly as possible from a new debian install.
Please comment, suggest improvements, etc.

I hope it's not too much trouble to post to both lists, I thought it
would be useful to people in both groups.  If this offends
sensibilities, I apologize ahead of time.

If this seems like a useful exercise, I'd be happy to post it to the
exim wiki; is there a cyrus wiki out there too?

Derek

Areas for improvement:
- configuring a secure IMAP (this only provides cleartext pwd auth)

=============
Packages (installed from Synaptic Package Manager)
- exim4 metapackage with (Exim is the default MTA for Debian, I didn't
have to explicitly install this)
-- exim4-daemon-light (debian default)
- cyrus
-- cyrus21-admin
-- cyrus21-clients
-- cyrus21-common
-- cyrus21-doc
-- cyrus21-imapd
- sasl
-- libsasl2-modules
-- sasl2-bin
=============
Cyrus
- edit /etc/imapd.conf, uncomment and/or set the following:

admins: cyrus
sasl_mech_list: PLAIN
sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd

- edit /etc/default/saslauthd, uncomment:

START=yes

- /etc/init.d/cyrus21 restart (restarts cyrus imap if isn't already running)
- /etc/init.d/saslauthd restart (ditto)
- imtest -m login -a LOCALACCT localhost (replace LOCALACCT with your
test username)
- passwd cyrus (set pwd for cyrus and use when using cyradm)
- cyradm --user cyrus localhost
  - createmailbox user.LOCALACCT
  - listmailbox user.LOCALACCT

===============
Exim

- edit update-exim4.conf.conf
  - add: dc_localdelivery='local_delivery_cyrus' (changes default local
delivery)
  - change: dc_use_split_config = 'true'
- create /etc/exim4/conf.d/transport/55_local_cyrus_delivery (whatever
filename you like in that dir) with the following content:

local_delivery_cyrus:
  driver = lmtp
  command = "/usr/sbin/cyrdeliver -l -m user.$local_part"
  user = cyrus

- run update-exim4.conf to recreate /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated
- exim4 -bV to verify no errors
- /etc/init.d/exim4 restart