Cyrus Reconstruct Problems

Jed Davidow jed at ultralame.com
Thu Aug 18 17:46:37 EDT 2005

I have been having some serious cyrus problems all week. I do not
understand why they are occurring, and I hope that someone here can help
me out.

We are runnng Mac OS Server 10.3.9

After an upgrade, I have one user (out of 10) whose inbox was truncated
from 3000 messages to 6.

I checked, and the messages are still in /var/spool/imap/user/USER.

I stopped the mail server and ran (as cyrus)
  /usr/bin/cyrus/bin/reconstruct -f -r user/USER

What did this do? It makes the user's inbox dissapear. It shows up in
cyradmin, shows up in a client subscribe list, but the IMAP client
cannot access it, and I get this error when mail is delivered to it:

Aug 18 14:28:42 localhost postfix/pipe[1876]: 76E1E3656F6: to=,
orig_to=, relay=procmail, delay=23, status=deferred (temporary failure)

Note:  This is the THIRD time this particular thing has happened to this
user's inbox.  I also managed to nuke on of his subfolders in the same
manner.

I also tried to run
   /usr/bin/cyrus/bin/reconstruct -x user/USER
but this did not help.

To fix this, I have had to rebuild the ENTIRE cyrus db. And when I do,
the reconstruct tool seems to miss some of the mail in this user's
folders.  (reconstruct -i).

Does anyone have any ideas? Any at all? Apple TS is zero help.

Some other questions:
    what is the reconstruct -i switch for?  It seems to help rebuild the
DB, but I cannto find any documentaion on it (I got it from another user
who suggested to use that to rebuild).

I am really just trying to understand why all this is happening.  Thanks
in advance.

Jed