new cyrus + exim setup on debian? - newbie

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at videotron.ca
Thu Aug 18 08:58:21 EDT 2005

Disclaimer : I use the experimental 2.2.x package, not cyrus21-*.

https://alioth.debian.org/projects/pkg-cyrus-imapd/

Derek Stevenson wrote:
> 1. install sasl2-bin, libsasl2, libsasl2-modules packages
> 2. install cyrus21-imapd package
> 3. get saslauthd working (want to auth users with their unix
> username/pwd - is there a step here where I have to generate keys,
> usernames, etc??)

No step to take here, saslauthd default to using PAM.  It's defined in
/etc/default/saslauthd, FYI.

> 4. configure /etc/imapd.conf with proper settings (... and other steps??)
> 5. configure /etc/exim4/conf.d/* with proper settings to talk to cyrus
> (... and other steps??)

If you plan on using IMAPS or POP3S, you will also need to generate SSL
certificate.  I use the make-ssl-certs script from the ssl-cert package.

> I've looked at /usr/share/doc/cyrus21-doc/html/install-configure.html
> but one of the problems I'm having is trying to distinguish what/if the
> debian package install has already done and what I'm supposed to do
> manually.

You pretty much only have to review imapd.conf/cyrus.conf, create
mailboxes (using cyradm from the cyrus21-admin package) and configure
your MTA to deliver to LMTP.  The package installation have taken care
of the rest (mkimap et cie).

One thing to check out for that may save you an hour or three of
troubleshooting : make sure the user Exim run as is member of the sasl
group.

Beside that, I think you are on the right track.  Good luck !

Etienne Goyer