new cyrus + exim setup on debian? - newbie

Derek Stevenson dls at navanax.com
Thu Aug 18 04:00:45 EDT 2005

I'm in the process of setting up a new debian server and configuring a
new cyrus and exim install.  I'd pulled this off a couple years ago on
another server I have (redhat 8), but of course stupidly didn't document
all the nitty gritty steps I took to accomplish the setup.

Frankly, with the volume of options for both of these apps in the setup
documentation, I'm somewhat lost.  At a high level, this is my
understanding of how to go about this:

1. install sasl2-bin, libsasl2, libsasl2-modules packages
2. install cyrus21-imapd package
3. get saslauthd working (want to auth users with their unix
username/pwd - is there a step here where I have to generate keys,
usernames, etc??)
4. configure /etc/imapd.conf with proper settings (... and other steps??)
5. configure /etc/exim4/conf.d/* with proper settings to talk to cyrus
(... and other steps??)

I've looked at /usr/share/doc/cyrus21-doc/html/install-configure.html
but one of the problems I'm having is trying to distinguish what/if the
debian package install has already done and what I'm supposed to do
manually.

I'm happy to dig through the documentation and figure out as much as I
can myself, but I need some pointers on where to go and perhaps a
high-level overview of the sequence of steps and docs that will
accomplish each of those steps.

I've read somewhere that exim+courier was a decent IMAP setup and was
much less complicated, but that's without having tried it myself...  My
ultimate goal is to get spamassassin and sieve working as well (as I had
on my old server), both options of which I know work well with cyrus.

Thanks so much!