Cyrus 2.2.x vs 2.3

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at videotron.ca
Tue Aug 16 16:09:02 EDT 2005

Ken Murchison wrote:
>     * Added support for "unified" and "replicated" Murders. A Murder no
> longer has to have discrete frontend and backend servers; any one
> "unified" server can both proxy and serve local mailboxes (proxy
> functionality in proxyd and lmtpproxyd has been merged with imapd and
> lmtpd respectively), or all "replicated" servers can serve the same
> mailboxes from a shared filesystem. The new mupdate_config option in
> imapd.conf is used to determine whether a Murder is using a
> "traditional", "unified" or "replicated" configuration.
>     * Ported/rewrote/integrated David Carter's mailspool replication
> code. Development sponsored by Columbia University.

These two really got me excited.  2.3 will really be an important
release for HA/scalability.

Could somebody expand a little about 'all "replicated" servers can serve
the same mailboxes from a shared filesystem' ?  Assuming a number of
servers serve mailboxes from a shared filesystem, there is no point in
Murder anymore as any server in the pool have directly access to any
mailbox in the shared filesystem, right ?