"lost" emails in cyrus

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Fri Aug 12 17:26:55 EDT 2005

--On August 12, 2005 12:01:51 PM -0700 "Chad A. Prey" <prey at salk.edu> wrote:

> All,
>
> I have reports of users missing email. In every case it appears that the
> duplicate checker may be involved. Can anyone help to shed some light on
> this problem?

The duplicate checker looks for duplicate message ids (the first field
below) and discards messages that contain the same message-id.  The biggest
reason for this is a large number of IMAP clients did (do) use message-id
to find and retrieve messages, also the message-id header is required to be
unique.  This is why your /etc/cyrus.conf file has a line similar to
'delprune        cmd="/usr/sbin/ctl_deliver -E 3" at=0401' occuring inside
of it, this purges the duplicates database of anything more than three days
old for this example at 4:01AM local time.