Cyrus 2.3

David Carter dpc22 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Aug 5 05:03:53 EDT 2005

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005, Amos wrote:

> WRT 2.3, IIRC, there was a feature such that deleting a message would
> not physically delete the message but just hide it from the user. That
> way a recovery wouldn't require pulling stuff off of tape (assuming the
> message was there last time backups ran.) Am I remembering this
> correctly? (I haven't had a chance to play with CVS source in ages,
> alas.)

The code in 2.3 does "delayed" expunge. This was, if I recall correctly,
originally put in as a performance enhancement (unlink can be expensive).
But if the messages are left on disk, unexpunge becomes possible.

> Anyway, assuming I'm remembering things correctly, what about folder
> deletions? Is the folder and it's contents physically blown away, or is it
> also just hidden from the user?
>
> Recently have been learning about the snapshot capabilities of some of
> our new SAN stuff, but got to wondering if some of these features in the
> up-coming 2.3 would make that somewhat unnecessary.....

2.3 doesn't retain deleted mailboxes: the messages are removed from disk
immediately.

David Carter                             Email: David.Carter at ucs.cam.ac.uk
University Computing Service,            Phone: (01223) 334502
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street,       Fax:   (01223) 334679
Cambridge UK. CB2 3QH.