POP lock problem

David Carter dpc22 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Aug 5 04:39:26 EDT 2005

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, Josh Endries wrote:

> I've been trying to resolve a POP lock problem I'm having for a week
> now. :( I've looked through the archives and online and haven't figured
> out how to fix it. A client's mailbox got locked and is now somehow
> stuck in that state. There's no TCP connection open anymore, nobody is
> accessing the box, and it's been many days since it last worked
> correctly but imapd still says it's locked and won't let anyone log in.
> How can I remove/reset the POP lock? I can't find a "lock" file anywhere
> to remove. Would restarting imapd do it? The server machine itself?

Are talking about errors of the form:

   -ERR [IN-USE] Unable to lock maildrop

This means a process has taken out a fcntl() or flock() lock on the
cyrus.header file associated with that mailbox. Probably a POP process
given that they take a lock and hold it for the duration of the login
session, but it might be an IMAP process which has got stuck. lsof is a
useful utility for working out which processes have opened a given file.

David Carter                             Email: David.Carter at ucs.cam.ac.uk
University Computing Service,            Phone: (01223) 334502
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street,       Fax:   (01223) 334679
Cambridge UK. CB2 3QH.