Invalid Header

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Mon Apr 18 16:45:34 EDT 2005

--On Monday, April 18, 2005 15:10 -0500 "Vernon A. Fort"
<vfort at provident-solutions.com> wrote:

> My setup is FC3 with postfix + cyrus-2.2.10-3.  I had several messages in
> the queue stating "Invalid header".  After searching for hours, I
> attempted to save the message using postcat
> so I could see what part of the header was invalid.  There was/is a line:

> with nothing after the line.  I removed the line and re-sent the message
> successfully.  Why would single line called Message-ID: cause lmtpd
> message header errors?

Ahh yeah, RFC822, specifically::

     optional-field =
                 /  "Message-ID"        ":"   msg-id
                 /  "Resent-Message-ID" ":"   msg-id
                 /  "In-Reply-To"       ":"  *(phrase / msg-id)
                 /  "References"        ":"  *(phrase / msg-id)
                 /  "Keywords"          ":"  #phrase
                 /  "Subject"           ":"  *text
                 /  "Comments"          ":"  *text
                 /  "Encrypted"         ":" 1#2word
                 /  extension-field              ; To be defined
                 /  user-defined-field           ; May be pre-empted

     msg-id      =  "<" addr-spec ">"            ; Unique message id

nothing about it is allowed to be blank....the field is optional, but can't
be blank.  Plus IMAP clients will use the Message-ID as the 'key' for
finding a message.  It's funny your posting this because we just had a
customer have an issue with that...

--
GPG/PGP --> 0xE736BD7E 5144 6A2D 977A 6651 DFBE 1462 E351 88B9 E736 BD7E