SA via spamcheck.py or procmail, spamc and postfix

Paul Dekkers Paul.Dekkers at surfnet.nl
Wed Sep 8 08:13:10 EDT 2004

Hi,

Since we want "per user userprefs" (stored in sql) we need to filter our
mail with the "User" option passed through to spamd. Since amavis cannot
do it's job here (it cannot provide all userpref options in sql), I
think that we have two options left while using postfix:
- we can define a content-filter that delivers the mail to procmail,
where the username is rewritten by a small perl script, the mail is
piped through spamc and then fed to postfix again by forking the
"sendmail" process with correct parameters;
- we can define spamcheck.py as local transport and have it pass the
mail through spamd and deliver it directly by lmtp

I'm not happy with procmail since it's a resource-eater sometimes, and
we also two other processes (the perl script and postfix again), but I'm
not sure if I'm happy with spamcheck.py as well - it's python, seems to
perform quite nice, but well - although it seems to work fine It's maybe
not as mature as procmail in filtering and not an "as proven" method.

Any advise? (I'm slightly leaning towards the spamcheck.py solution,
since I think it's really ugly how we need several processes for
delivery with procmail.)

Paul