Funding Cyrus High Availability

Jure Pe_ar pegasus at nerv.eu.org
Fri Sep 17 17:12:43 EDT 2004

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 13:28:08 -0700
<szii at sziisoft.com> wrote:

> My biggest question here is, simply, why recreate what's already
> out there?

Because none of the existing solutions does not fit our needs well enough.

> There are a number of projects (LVM, PVFS) which do this kind of
> replication/distribution/virtulization for filesystems.

We're discussing replication on the application level. Block level
replication is nice for many things, but doesn't really take care of
consistency, which cyrus relies on pretty much.

> There are a number of databases which have active/active clustering
> (mysql, DB2, Oracle, et al) and master/slave.
>
> Personally, I would LOVE to see a full RDBMS-backed system.  You
> define your database(s) in the config file ... and that is all.

You can go with dbmail and one of the existing well established databases
anytime. This can solve the issue we're having here, but brings lots of
other problems that cyrus is keeping away. Just ask any Exchange admin :)

> The other advantages would be very nice integration with other
> applications which can query against databases. (ex: postfix directly
> supports mysql lookups.)

For mail routing & auth, yes ... many of us are already doing this. However,
storing mail in a db gives you about 20% of db overhead (straight from the
Oralce sales rep) and i/o is already a very valuable resource ...

> But then, I can't afford to really help with this myself so take
> my thoughts with a big "hope" pill.  =D

Yup :)

--

Jure Pečar