Funding Cyrus High Availability

David Carter dpc22 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Sep 20 06:21:58 EDT 2004

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004, David Lang wrote:

> assiming that the simplest method would cost ~$3000 to code I would make a
> wild guess that the ballpark figures would be
>
> 1. active/passive without automatic failover $3k
>
> 2. active/passive with automatic failover (limited to two nodes or withing a
> murder cluster) $4k
>
> 3. active/passive with updates pushed to the master $5k
>
> 4. #3 with auto failover (failover not limited to two nodes or a single
> murder cluster) $7k
>
> 5. active/active (limited to a single geographic location) $10k
>
> 6. active/active/active (no limits) $30k
>
> in addition to automaticly re-merge things after a split-brin has happened
> would probably be another $5k

I think that you are missing a zero (or at least a fairly substantial
multipler!) from 5. 1 -> 4 can be done without substantial changes to the
Cyrus core code, and Ken would be able to use my code as a reference
implementation, even if he wanted to recode everything from scratch. 5 and
6 would require a much more substantial redesign and I suspect quite a lot
of trial and error as this is unexplored territory for IMAP servers.

David Carter                             Email: David.Carter at ucs.cam.ac.uk
University Computing Service,            Phone: (01223) 334502
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street,       Fax:   (01223) 334679
Cambridge UK. CB2 3QH.