Cyrus crashed on redundant platform - need better availability?

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Wed Sep 15 14:13:46 EDT 2004

Simon Matter wrote:

>>Hi,
>>
>>--On Mittwoch, 15. September 2004 13:38 Uhr +0200 Paul Dekkers

>>>I can imagine that would be one of the advantages of RH's clustering,
>>>since you don't have to mount a filesystem in that case for a machine
>>>that just crashed - it would safe time...
>>
>>I'm not sure if Red Hat even supports a clustered FS at this time. It
>>certainly didn't when we set up the system more than two years ago.
>

> I thinks that's exactly why they bought Sistina with GFS - and GPL'd it.
> Does anybody know how it works with cyrus-imapd?

If you are interested in using a shared filesystem on a SAN for server
redundancy, then you could try using a replicated Murder (Cyrus 2.3).
Such a config is running at a local University using 4 Sun servers and
QFS (Sun's SAN filesystem) on a Hitachi fibre array.

I haven't tested this with GFS, but if it has correct file locking and
memory mapping support, then it might work.

I'm fairly confident that SGI's XFS would work, although I haven't tried it.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127