No lmtp authentication on backend (user name)

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Tue Sep 14 15:43:19 EDT 2004

Laurent GAUTHIER wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have an architecture of Murder Cyrus Imap Servers with Postfix.
> The design makes Postfix Frontend deliver SMTP to local LMTP service.
>
> My problem is when the Cyrus LMTP service (unix socket) on Frontend
> tries to connect to backend LMTP (TCP/IP socket) , I have messages bellow :
>
> Frontend:
> Sep 13 19:25:29 localhost cyrus/lmtpproxyd[19904]: lmtpengine do_auth:
> failed to authenticate
>
> Backend:
> Sep 13 19:29:55 localhost cyrus/lmtpd[2210]: connection from
> cyrfro.mydomain.com [182.69.69.44]
> Sep 13 19:29:58 localhost cyrus/lmtpd[2210]: badlogin: 182.69.69.44
> DIGEST-MD5 SASL(-13): user not found: no secret in database
> Is there any parameter as the ones for mupdate like
> # mupdate_username
> # mupdate_authname
> # mupdate_realm
> # mupdate_password
>
> that would be dedicated to LMTP?
>
> In other words, how to configure the frontend lmtp service auth-name
> when it intents to connect to the back-end?

 From doc/install-murder.html:

Additionally, you will need entries in imapd.conf to indicate the proxy
auth name and passwords (if you are using a SASL mechanism that requires
them) to the backends, for example, if your backends are
mail1.andrew.cmu.edu and mail2.andrew.cmu.edu with passwords of foo and
bar, and an auth name of murder:

mail1_password: foo
mail2_password: bar
proxy_authname: murder

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127