Usernames without alpha characters

Tore Anderson tore at linpro.no
Tue Sep 14 05:54:38 EDT 2004

* Tore Anderson

 >   Hi.  I've run into problems with usernames like "123" or "1_1".
 >  What seems to be the common thing is that that none of them
 > contains alphabetic characters.  Cyradm creates them just fine
 > (although they for some reason is created under the "q" directory
 > when using a hashed spool), and lmtpd delivers to them just fine.
 >
 >   However, logging into those accounts with POP3 or IMAP fails in
 >  mysterious ways.

  After some more digging, I found the following in lib/auth_unix.c,
 function auth_canonifyid():

    if (!sawalpha) return NULL;  /* has to be one alpha char */

  Certainly looks like the "bug" isn't there by mistake.  :-)  It is
 tempting to simply comment out that check. On the other hand, I assume
 there's a reason for that check to be there.

  But what that reason is I don't know.  Could anyone enlighten me?

Thanks,
--
Tore Anderson