IOERROR Cannot create anymore mailboxes

David Carter dpc22 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Sep 15 15:37:19 EDT 2004

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004, Boyle, Bernadette wrote:

> I have a terrible problem at the moment at the university with new
> students not being able to receive mail because I cannot create any more
> accounts.

What operating system/filesystem?

> I currently have 32,765 directories in this account and it seems like
> perhaps I have reached the quota. Is there anyway to stop this?

That number sounds suspiciously close to 32,768 (2**15), particularly if
you add 2 for '.' and '..'. Sounds like you've hit a hard limit on the
number of files allowed in a directory. Afraid that the only likely
solution will be a different filesystem or operating system.

David Carter                             Email: David.Carter at ucs.cam.ac.uk
University Computing Service,            Phone: (01223) 334502
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street,       Fax:   (01223) 334679
Cambridge UK. CB2 3QH.