About the 8bit in header.

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at debian.org
Sat Sep 25 08:17:28 EDT 2004

Hi Wang!

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004, Wang Penghui wrote:
> But i don't know how to deal with it. Because my server is a running
> mail server. So recomplie is not permited. lots of the solutions is patch.
> Could you pick me up with it?
>
> What should i do with it now.

The correct fix is for your MTA to *reject* any mail with 8bit *headers*
telling people to use a RFC2047-compliant MUA.

The "user friendly" fix is for you to contribute code for Cyrus IMAPd that
is capable of a "default character set" specified in imapd.conf, and
8bit-header encoding.

That code would have to:
  1.  Verify that the 8bit data is really valid in the "default" encoding
      specified in the config file.  THIS IS *VERY* IMPORTANT.
  2.  RCF2047-encode the header using that charset

  I also think that it should:
  3.  Add a X- header with a comment stating that such conversion took
      place (to track down problems later)

I think such a complete patch, if well done, would be accepted into Cyrus...
Note that such a patch is anything but trivial to write.

  Henrique Holschuh