Cyrus POP3 Deadlocks in 2.1.16

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at debian.org
Mon Sep 27 23:08:13 EDT 2004

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004, Ken Murchison wrote:
> >Linux, Debian Woody/Stable....and no.  Cyrmaster notes it's taking the
> >connections and handing them off, spawning the pop3 processes (proxy or
> >not, doesn't matter) but they just never banner, and hang forever....

Looks like the APOP problem alright...  Debian's SASL likes /dev/random for
some stupid reason (it *really* should be using /dev/urandom, since it is
not generating any strong-crypto permanent keys...).

> If you know for a fact that master is taking the connection and pop3d is
> spawned, then its either waiting for entropy for the APOP challenge, or
> you're getting bit by the old process accounting bug (unfortunately I
> can't remember exactly how this bug manifested itself or when it was fixed).

Fixed in early, 2.2 and Debian's 2.1.16-8 or thereabouts (for very high
forkrates).  Older patches were sent to this list, and are in Debian since
2.1.14 or even earlier... but these will NOT cope with very high forkrates
well.

  Henrique Holschuh