Cyrus Cyradm Problem Please Help

Matthew Simmons matthewsimmons at digitalribbon.com
Mon Sep 27 12:27:18 EDT 2004

Gods of Cyrus,
    I am currently trying to install Cryus and SASL on a new machine. I
 have download Cyrus IMAP v. 2.2.8 and Cyrus SASL v. 2.1.9. I want to
 use sasldb to authenicate the users.

 Here is the configure script that I have for Cyrus IMAP:

 make distclean
 ./configure \
 --prefix=/usr \
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec/cyrus \
 --sysconfdir=/etc \
 --enable-login \
 --with-perl=perl5 \
 --with-auth=unix \
 --with-pam \
 --with-pwcheck \
 --with-cram \
 --with-openssl \
 --with-gssapi \
 --with-dblib=berkeley \
 --with-com_err \
 --with-tclsh=/usr/bin/tclsh \
 --with-dbpath=/etc/sasl2/sasldb \
 --with-dbdir=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2 \

 make

 #make install

 This script runs with no errors and I also run make install with no
 errors.

 Here is the scrip I am using for Cyrus SASL

 ./configure \
 --prefix=/usr \
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec/cyrus \
 --sysconfdir=/etc \
 --enable-login \
 --with-auth=unix \
 --with-pam \
 --with-pwcheck \
 --with-cram \
 --with-openssl \
 --with-gssapi \
 --with-dblib=berkeley \
 --with-com_err \
 --with-tclsh=/usr/bin/tclsh \
 --with-dbpath=/etc/sasl2/sasldb \
 --with-krb \

 make

 This scrip also runs with out a problem.

 After this I create a user in the SASL2 db with the command
 saslpasswd2 -c cyrus.

 I start the imap server. With /etc/init.d/cyrus start. No errors are
 reported in the logs and the Master reports ready to work.

 Here is the problem.

 When I start cryadm to add users, I get this:

 linux2 cyrus-sasl-2.1.19 # cyradm --user cyrus --server localhost
 cyradm: cannot connect to server

 What am I missing?

 Here is a copy of my cryus.conf:
 # standard standalone server implementation

 START {
  # do not delete this entry!
  recover       cmd="ctl_cyrusdb -r"

  # this is only necessary if using idled for IMAP IDLE
 #  idled                cmd="idled"
 }

 # UNIX sockets start with a slash and are put into /var/imap/sockets
 SERVICES {
  # add or remove based on preferences
  imap          cmd="imapd" listen="imap" prefork=0
  pop3          cmd="pop3d" listen="pop3" prefork=0

  # LMTP is required for delivery
  lmtpunix      cmd="lmtpd" listen="/var/imap/socket/lmtp" prefork=0

  # this is only necessary if using notifications
 #  notify       cmd="notifyd" listen="/var/imap/socket/notify"
 proto="udp" prefork=1
 }

 EVENTS {
  # this is required
  checkpoint    cmd="ctl_cyrusdb -c" period=30

  # this is only necessary if using duplicate delivery suppression
  delprune      cmd="ctl_deliver -E 3" at=0400

  # this is only necessary if caching TLS sessions
  tlsprune      cmd="tls_prune" at=0400
 }

 Here is a copy of my imapd.conf
 configdirectory: /var/imap
 partition-default: /var/spool/imap
 admins: cyrus
 pwcheck_method: auxprop
 mech_list: CRAM-MD5

 Any help that you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

 Thanks,
 Matthew Simmons