-ERR [IN-USE] Unable to lock maildrop

Andrzej Adam Filip anfi at priv.onet.pl
Tue Oct 12 12:57:57 EDT 2004

Bartosz Jozwiak wrote:
> I have a lot of problems with picking up mail with POP3 while
> user got disconnected (dial-up) downloading his mail.
>
> This is telnet session what happens:
>
> +OK servername Cyrus POP3 v2.1.16 server ready
> 4148829254.1097593011 at servername
> USER xxx
> +OK Name is a valid mailbox
> PASS expediteur
> -ERR [IN-USE] Unable to lock maildrop
>
> And then user cannot login and pick up his mail. He needs to wait some time
> or
> I need to restart cyrus.
> Can somebody help me with it ?
>
> Thank you in advance

Consider changing  "TCP keepalive" timeout on the server (OS settings) from
defaunt 2h to (e.g.) 5m. It should allow your system to quickly detect broken
dialup connections.

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Adv-Routing-HOWTO/lartc.kernel.obscure.html

/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_keepalive_time
     How often TCP sends out keepalive messages when keepalive is enabled.
Default: 2hours.

Andrzej [en:Andrew] Adam Filip anfi at priv.onet.pl anfi at xl.wp.pl
Home Page http://anfi.homeunix.net/ [ PageRank 6 ]