archive.info-cyrus web site used for spam harvesting

Lari Huttunen cyrus-info at huttu.net
Mon Oct 4 14:31:52 EDT 2004

Dear all,

Would it be possible not to archive people's valid email addresses at:
<http://asg.web.cmu.edu/archive/index.php?mailbox=archive.info-cyrus>
since it took less than 90 hours for the address I used in posting to
the mailing list to get harvested and utilized by spammers?

I posted a message at:
Thu, 30 Sep 2004 20:04:48 +0300
and received the first (Nigerian) spam at:
Mon, 04 Oct 2004 07:59:06 +0300

This was the first and only time the aforementioned address had been used
to post to the mailing list. (Prior, it had only been used in the
subscription process.)

Many mailing list web archives protect the posters' email addresses by
automatically transforming the email addresses into <EMAIL-PROTECTED>.
This doesn indeed reduce the number hits the spammers can achieve through
website harvesting.

Sorry for the OT post, but I just thought the list readers should and might
want to know.

--
Lari Huttunen