archive.info-cyrus web site used for spam harvesting

lst_hoe01 at kwsoft.de lst_hoe01 at kwsoft.de
Tue Oct 5 03:35:40 EDT 2004

Zitat von Lari Huttunen <cyrus-info at huttu.net>:

> Dear all,
>
> Would it be possible not to archive people's valid email addresses at:
> <http://asg.web.cmu.edu/archive/index.php?mailbox=archive.info-cyrus>
> since it took less than 90 hours for the address I used in posting to
> the mailing list to get harvested and utilized by spammers?
>
> I posted a message at:
> Thu, 30 Sep 2004 20:04:48 +0300
> and received the first (Nigerian) spam at:
> Mon, 04 Oct 2004 07:59:06 +0300
>
> This was the first and only time the aforementioned address had been used
> to post to the mailing list. (Prior, it had only been used in the
> subscription process.)
>

> Many mailing list web archives protect the posters' email addresses by
> automatically transforming the email addresses into <EMAIL-PROTECTED>.
> This doesn indeed reduce the number hits the spammers can achieve through
> website harvesting.
>
> Sorry for the OT post, but I just thought the list readers should and might
> want to know.

You should never ever use your real mailaddress for mailing-lists. Create a
alias for this purpose and only use it for mailing-lists. If it gets to spammy,
change it. Address-harvesting is done in many ways today like subscribing to
mailing-lists to get the addresses, so hiding it in the web-archives don't save
you from spam.

Regards

Andreas