Cyrus IMAP losing email sporadically

David Gurr david.gurr at congruity.co.uk
Tue Oct 5 09:58:47 EDT 2004

I have Cyrus 2.1.15 running on Debian Woody (courtesy of www.backports.org).
My MUA is Outlook 2000. Everything is mostly running fine, but with one
major annoyance ...

... periodically, it seems to erase mail from my Inbox.

Here's what happens. Mail arrives (from fetchmail, via exim) which Outlook
dutifully displays.

If I'm reasonably active in Outlook, ie going back and forth reading new
messages and sending messages, then all is fine.

But if I leave it for any length of time with no activity, when I come back,
all the messages in my Inbox have disappeared.

I was previously running the stock Cyrus 1.15.19 that was standard with
Debian Woody, and that didn't seem to have this problem. The upgrade was
handled automatically by the 2.1.15 Debian install package.

I've not found anything relevant in the logs that would explain this ...
what could be happening here?

--
David Gurr