imap scalability

Jules Agee julesa at pcf.com
Thu Oct 7 13:21:07 EDT 2004

Earl R Shannon wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would in addition recommend that you run your MTA
> on a seperate machine(s). If you do use some form of
> spam/virus filtering keeping it off the IMAP/POP servers
> would probably leave you in a better position, both in
> terms of performance and management.

Seconded, especially if you use SpamAssassin. SpamAssassin works really
well for us, but it is a serious memory hog at 17-20MB *per process*,
plus 5-8MB shared memory. You won't want to run anything else that's
sensitive to RAM consumption on a box that's running SA.

--
Jules Agee
System Administrator