Long startup time (1h 30m)

Dennis Sjogren dempa at du.se
Fri Oct 8 10:23:26 EDT 2004

Hi... again.

I'm sorry for all the replies to my own posts. However, I checked the
man page for ctl_cyrusdb(8) and saw the "-x" flag.

   -x   Used with -r to recover the database  only.   (Prevents
        database cleanup).

With this in mind, I went back to the source code and discovered that if
this flag is passed as an argument, the long operation of going through
every mailbox on the system isn't done at all. Relevant code:

     if(op == RECOVER && reserve_flag)
         recover_reserved();

The variable reserve_flag is initally set to 1, but passing along -x
makes the program set reserve_flag=0.

Atleast to me that suggest that passing along -x would reduce startup
time enormously, or am I wrong here? The obvious question now is: Can I
do this and still have a working email system afterwards?

I'm a developer myself and I'm guessing that somewhere there's a bunch
of developers right now going "what a complete idiot he is!"... Hey,
that's ok. Really. If someone wants to flame me and go "Moron! Run -r
(without -x) every startup or suffer eternal hell!", please feel free. I
just wanna set this straight so I can sleep at night! ;)

OK, I joke alot about this. Forgive me. Of course the most important
thing to us is to have a working email system. If startup is 1h30m, so
be it. But if it's possible to reduce that startup time somewhat, and at
the same time not jeopardize the integrity of the data, I want to learn
about it.

Thanks for your help!

Best regards,

/dempa

--
  Dennis "Dempa" Sjogren, Unix Sysadmin / Software Developer
  Dalarna University, Borlange Campus, Sweden - http://www.du.se/