Login failed with error Mailbox does not exist - but it does really exist.

sam sam.wun at authtec.net
Fri Oct 8 11:05:30 EDT 2004

sam wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After used cyradm created user sam.wun and use saslpasswd2 created its
> password, the cyrus-imapd sever does not recognize my login ID and
> password.
>
> I found the mailbox is has the followoing naming convention:
> root at at [9:24pm] [...spool/imap]# ls -l
> total 22
> drwxr-x--- 11 cyrus cyrus 512 Oct 8 21:20 ./
> drwxr-xr-x 11 root wheel 512 Oct 6 23:07 ../
> drwx------ 2 cyrus cyrus 512 Oct 8 19:25 Mailbox/
> drwx------ 2 cyrus cyrus 512 Oct 8 21:20 sam^wun/
>
> The symbol ^ replaced the . when chreating the mailbox for sam.wun.
>
> Is this the real problem? If not, where should I look for the cause of
> the error?
>
> The error in the log file is:
> pop3[42571]: Unable to locate maildrop for sam.wun: Mailbox does not
> exist
>
> Thanks
> Sam

I have created another user called "nuser" in the cyradm prompt, and
have it tested, it has the same error.
the cyradm command I used is:
 > cm user.nuser
createmailbox: Mailbox already exists
 > quit
It is shown that Mailbox of nuser does really exist.

The Mailbox I created is shown as below:
# ls -l
/var/spool/imap/

total 26
drwxr-x---  13 cyrus  cyrus  512 Oct  8 22:31 ./
drwxr-xr-x  11 root   wheel  512 Oct  6 23:07 ../
drwx------   2 cyrus  cyrus  512 Oct  8 14:55 user^bob/
drwx------   2 cyrus  cyrus  512 Oct  8 22:31 user^nuser/

Your help is greately appreciated.
Thanks