Failed login imap. - failed with pop3 testing

sam sam.wun at authtec.net
Fri Oct 8 20:38:52 EDT 2004

sam wrote:

>> HI,
>>
>> Yesterday I installed cyrus-imapd22, sasl2+saslauthd and postfix2.1.4
>> in FreeBSd 5.3 system. When I tried to login from a remote system
>> (using telnet/imtest and Mozilla mail client, it has the error showing:
>> "pop3[43416]: Unable to locate maildrop for nuser: Mailbox does not
>> exist"
>>
>> I have created an user called "nuser" in the cyradm prompt.
>>
>> The cyradm command I used is:
>> > cm user.nuser
>> createmailbox: Mailbox already exists
>> > quit
>> This is only verify that Mailbox of nuser does really exist.
>>
>> The Mailbox I created is shown as below:
>> # ls -l /var/spool/imap/
>> total 26
>> drwxr-x--- 13 cyrus cyrus 512 Oct 8 22:31 ./
>> drwxr-xr-x 11 root wheel 512 Oct 6 23:07 ../
>> drwx------ 2 cyrus cyrus 512 Oct 8 14:55 user^bob/
>> drwx------ 2 cyrus cyrus 512 Oct 8 22:31 user^nuser/
>>
>> What can I do to correct this error?
>>
> I have also had it tested with imtest, it works fine:
> # imtest -a nuser -m login -p imap -v localhost
> S: * OK at.mydot.com Cyrus IMAP4 v2.2.8 server ready
> C: C01 CAPABILITY
> S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ MAILBOX-REFERRALS
> NAMESPACE UIDPLUS ID NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND
> BINARY SORT THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES ANNOTATEMORE IDLE
> STARTTLS
> S: C01 OK Completed
> Please enter your password:
> C: L01 LOGIN nuser {10}
> S: + go ahead
> C: <omitted>
> S: L01 OK User logged in
> Authenticated.
> Security strength factor: 0

Hi, I made further test with pop3 using commandline, it failed:
# telnet at.mydot.com 110
Trying 192.168.4.254...
Connected to at.authtec.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK at.mydot.com Cyrus POP3 v2.2.8 server ready
<3114167081.1097282160 at at.mydot.com>
USER joe at mydot.com
+OK Name is a valid mailbox
PASS mypass
-ERR [SYS/PERM] Unable to locate maildrop: Mailbox does not exist