Failed login imap. - failed with pop3 testing

sam sam.wun at authtec.net
Fri Oct 8 21:00:36 EDT 2004

sam wrote:

>>> HI,
>>>
>>> Yesterday I installed cyrus-imapd22, sasl2+saslauthd and
>>> postfix2.1.4 in FreeBSd 5.3 system. When I tried to login from a
>>> remote system (using telnet/imtest and Mozilla mail client, it has
>>> the error showing:
>>> "pop3[43416]: Unable to locate maildrop for nuser: Mailbox does not
>>> exist"
>>>
>>> I have created an user called "nuser" in the cyradm prompt.
>>>
>>> The cyradm command I used is:
>>> createmailbox: Mailbox already exists
>>> This is only verify that Mailbox of nuser does really exist.
>>>
>>> The Mailbox I created is shown as below:
>>> # ls -l /var/spool/imap/
>>> total 26
>>> drwxr-x--- 13 cyrus cyrus 512 Oct 8 22:31 ./
>>> drwxr-xr-x 11 root wheel 512 Oct 6 23:07 ../
>>> drwx------ 2 cyrus cyrus 512 Oct 8 14:55 user^bob/
>>> drwx------ 2 cyrus cyrus 512 Oct 8 22:31 user^nuser/
>>>
>>> What can I do to correct this error?
>>>
>> I have also had it tested with imtest, it works fine:
>> # imtest -a nuser -m login -p imap -v localhost
>> S: * OK at.mydot.com Cyrus IMAP4 v2.2.8 server ready
>> C: C01 CAPABILITY
>> S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ MAILBOX-REFERRALS
>> NAMESPACE UIDPLUS ID NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND
>> BINARY SORT THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES ANNOTATEMORE IDLE
>> STARTTLS
>> S: C01 OK Completed
>> Please enter your password:
>> C: L01 LOGIN nuser {10}
>> S: + go ahead
>> C: <omitted>
>> S: L01 OK User logged in
>> Authenticated.
>> Security strength factor: 0
>>
> Hi, I made further test with pop3 using commandline, it failed:
> # telnet at.mydot.com 110
> Trying 192.168.4.254...
> Connected to at.authtec.com.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> +OK at.mydot.com Cyrus POP3 v2.2.8 server ready
> <3114167081.1097282160 at at.mydot.com>
> USER joe at mydot.com
> +OK Name is a valid mailbox
> PASS mypass
> -ERR [SYS/PERM] Unable to locate maildrop: Mailbox does not exist

I created joe's directory in the /var/db/imap/log directory to see if I
get any err log there,
Upon failure of login joe's account using imap protocol, I seen this
error in joe's log:

 >1097283226>1 OK User logged in^M
<1097283226<2 select "INBOX"^M
 >1097283226>2 NO Mailbox does not exist^M
<1097283228<3 getacl "INBOX"^M
 >1097283228>3 NO Mailbox does not exist^M
<1097283229<4 myrights "INBOX"^M
 >1097283229>4 NO Mailbox does not exist^M
<1097283328<5 logout^M
 >1097283328>* BYE LOGOUT received^M
5 OK Completed^M
---------- joe Sat Oct  9 08:55:46 2004

Here is the directory list of joe:
root at at [8:59am] [...log/joe]# ls -l
total 10
drwx------  2 cyrus  mail   512 Oct  9 08:55 ./
drwxr-xr-x  3 cyrus  cyrus  512 Oct  9 08:51 ../
-rw-------  1 cyrus  mail   552 Oct  9 08:53 49327
-rw-------  1 cyrus  mail   218 Oct  9 08:53 49338
-rw-------  1 cyrus  mail   725 Oct  9 08:55 49339
root at at [8:59am] [...log/joe]#