Is it possible to clean the trash folder automatic?

Adi Linden adil at adis.on.ca
Mon Oct 11 20:45:35 EDT 2004

> Don't know if others have replied to you directly already...

Nope.

> > On Sun, 10 Oct 2004, Bob Tito wrote:
> > >   purgetrash    cmd="ipurge -d 7 -f user/%/Trash" at=0200
> >
> > Does this also remove old message from anything below user/%/Trash, like
> > user/%/Trash/SPAM and user/%/Trash/Virus?
>
> The above "purgetrash" event is not recursive.  It should only operate
> on user/*/Trash (INBOX/Trash, from the user's point of view).
> Mailboxes fitting the pattern, "user/%/Trash/SPAM" would be untouched.

This is good to know. This would be the ideal way to specify an account to
drop spam into. Just need to figure out how to have SpamAssassin deliver
positive hits into a mailbox other than INBOX. Using this method it'll
apply to all accounts no matter what.

> cyr_expire does the work of purging messages that have expired (see the
> man page for cyr_expire for more details).  It is usually configured as
> an event in cyrus.conf.

Ok, in my particular case, I am subscribed to a large number of mailing
lists. On the current mail server I am running uw-imap, procmail and
mboxes. A cronjob runs a script every day that trims every mailbox in the
lists directory to only keep the 200 most recent messages. Works like a
charm. Once I switch to cyrus-imap I can use the expire flag to
automatically purge old messages from these mailing list mailfolders.

> One advantage of using the expire annotation is that users can
> potentially specify how long they want mail in the specified mailbox to
> hang around before it expires (or if they want mail in the specified
> folder to expire at all!).  For end users a web based interface to make
> these tweaks would probably be preferable.

Just have to find a web based tool to do these things to make it available
to everyone on the server.

Adi