2.2.8 vs. 2.1.15: different process spawning behavior?

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Sat Oct 16 08:53:02 EDT 2004

Hi,

today we successfully migrated our installation from 2.1.15 to 2.2.8
(thanks to Simon's RPMs!). One thing I have noticed in the few hours it's
been running in production is that the spawning behavior of the lmtpd
processes seems to have changed. Here's what we've got in /etc/cyrus.conf:

  lmtpunix      cmd="lmtpd" listen="/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp" prefork=10
maxchild=100

Formerly this would mean that there were 100 processes max, but the actual
number would fluctuate quite a bit. When any given process had been idle
for too long, master would kill it. Now it seems as though processes that
are spawned stick around indefinitely.

Oct 16 11:46:28 lvr13 master[22588]: about to exec
/usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/lmtpd

That's the last line in imapd.log that mentions lmtpd, 3 hours ago. There
are currently 95 processes. I'm sure that some of them have gone idle in
between ...

I haven seen anything the changelog that would explain this behavior. I'm
not complaining, I just would like to know if this is to be expected.

Cheers, Sebastian
--
Sebastian Hagedorn M.A. - RZKR-R1 (Flachbau), Zi. 18, Robert-Koch-Str. 10
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK