2.2.8 vs. 2.1.15: different process spawning behavior?

Simon Matter simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com
Sun Oct 17 09:30:28 EDT 2004

> How do I do that? I can't find anything about those parameters in the
> cyrus.conf manpage. Oh, this is a parameter for lmtpd, right? So you say I
> should do it like this:
>
>   lmtpunix      cmd="lmtpd -U 100 -T 60"
> listen="/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp"
> prefork=10 maxchild=100
>
> I'll give that a try, thanks.
>
> What I don't get is that the lmtpd manpage claims "-T 60" to be the
> default

Did you try running with the default cyrus.conf just to see how it goes?
With the following line I get exactly 2 lmtpd running until mail arrives.
lmtpunix      cmd="lmtpd" listen="/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp" prefork=1

Then, if it behaves the same way you could try adding "maxchild=100" and
see how it goes. Then increasing prefork to 10 and check again.

Simon