postfix to cyrus-imap via lmtp?

Adi Linden adil at adis.on.ca
Thu Oct 21 15:40:20 EDT 2004

> Why don't you use Debian packages for cyrus-sasl, cyrus-imapd and postfix?
> While not being a Debian user I'm quite sure those packages exist and will
> prevent from such mess.

I am only interested in plain password authentication, with encrypted
passwords kept in some database (trying mysql).

The Debian cyrus-sasl package does not include any way to lookup encrypted
passwords in mysql. I had built cyrus-sasl with a patch from
<http://frost.ath.cx/software/cyrus-sasl-patches/>. The Debian cyrus-imap
built has loads of dependencies. Since I had to built cyrus-sasl, I did
the same for cyrus-imapd and just included what was necessary to meet my
needs.

No matter how I look at it, in order to do SMTP AUTH with encrypted
passwords in the user database I still need the above mentioned patch for
cyrus-sasl. Also means I still have to built everything from sources,
including postfix.

Is there a way to have uw-imapd log user passwords in the clear? With that
I could collect all my users passwords and store them clear text in the
database. Everywhere it says that this is not a good idea. But why? As
system administrator I have access to everyones 'secret' emails anyways.
Whether or not the passwords are clear text should be irrelevant.

Adi