Cyrus Aggregator advicories

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Wed Oct 20 08:24:00 EDT 2004

Hi,

--On Mittwoch, 20. Oktober 2004 13:27 Uhr +0200 Simon Matter
<simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com> wrote:

> I don't think you'll have any problems with one server. Just make sure you
> have fast disks since IO is most important here. I know people are using
> cyrus-imapd on RedHat AS cluster but I don't know how well it works with
> RedHat AS3. Maybe others on the list can tell us more.

that would be me :-)

We've only just migrated our cluster from 2.1 to 3, so I don't yet have
much experience with the new version. So far it *seems* much improved.
We've had one inexplicable crash of one cluster member, but the failover
went smoothly. The most important part of such a failover cluster is the
shared medium. From our experience I would advise against SCSI-based
solutions. Perhaps a high-end RAID box is OK, but don't go for cheapo
RAIDs, not even the ones with separate SCSI busses! We had nothing but
trouble with ours over the years and now had to restore one partition from
backup, because copying it off the RAID didn't work (the RAID box claimed
it was healthy).

We now have a SAN and have been very happy with it. I suppose a
FibreChannel RAID
delivers the same benefits.

Cheers, Sebastian Hagedorn
--
Sebastian Hagedorn M.A. - RZKR-R1 (Gebäude 52), Zimmer 18
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK