Secure authtentication (SPA) with MS Outlook 2002?

Roland Pope rpope at jadeworld.com
Tue Oct 26 01:03:37 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "sam wun" <sam.wun at authtec.net>
> There is one problem, there is no windows domain controller.
> The email gateway is a FreeBSD system. All email clients are
> authenticated thru this gateway.
>
> Should I assign the name of the e-mail gateway (eg. mail01.mydomain.com)
> to the following variable:
> sasl_ntlm_server: mail01.mydomain.com
>
> assuming mail01.mydomain.com is the hostname of the email gateway.

If you have no Windows box, why do you want to use SPA/NTLM?
Secure Password Authentication is a windows specific login method.
If you are using a FreeBSD box only, you should try one of the other SASL
authentication methods that Outlook supports like LOGIN where you check a
plain text password against a password database like /etc/shadow or LDAP.

Roland