All folders removed

Michael F. Sprague msprague at dcu.org
Mon Oct 25 14:34:25 EDT 2004

Hi folks,

I had something strange happen to a user last Friday and I'm hoping y'all
can offer a suggestion on where to find the source of the problem.  Here
is the situation.

We are running cyrus-imap v2.2.6.  Users access their mailbox either via
Outlook Express or Squirrelmail.  They also use the Squirrelmail interface
to adjust sieve filters.  This is on RedHat 9.

This user usually uses Outlook Express but she was out of the office last
week so she was using Squrrelmail remotely.  She claims that after reading
her email around noon on Friday, all of her messages and folders
disappeared.  Of course this was not reported to us until today (Monday).
When I look at her mailbox on the partition, indeed all of the messages
and folders were gone except for some new messages that came in after noon
on Friday.

The user had clicked 'Purge' in Squirrelmail which is suppose to remove
the messages in the Trash folder.  If she had marked messages for deletion
in Outlook Express, could this purge have removed all messages marked for
deletion and not just those in the Trash folder?  Even if that is true,
why would the folders get removed as well?  Could this all be because
something got corrupted?

I've been plugging through the logs and nothing looks too strange until
her folders disappear and then I see some sieve errors.  Some of her rules
were trying to deliver into a folder which now doesn't exist.  She may
have modifed a sieve rule on Friday but I don't see how a bad sieve rule
could wipe out the whole thing.

In any case, I'm  just looking some ideas on where to look next.  Thanks
in advance for any pointers.

mikeS