Folder opening / Mailbox problem

Michael Plate plate at bibliothek.uni-kassel.de
Tue Oct 26 05:40:32 EDT 2004

Hi,

I'am running a cyrus-imapd 2.1.15 on Gentoo-Linux since 9 month. We use
lmtp to deliver mail from Postfix. Three weeks ago, we recognized a
strange problem in accessing folders / mailboxes: it took very long.
I have the usual DB lockers problem in /var/log/messages, but this does
not seem to be the problem.
Authentification is done by sasl over winbindd and works flawlessly.
When I use cyradm and do lm, it normally takes near to no time to
display the list (less then 200 users, 3900 Folders).
When having problems it takes 1 minute or longer, and this is
reproducable. I have increased the file-limit to 16384 (ulimit -n 16384).

The problem occurs weekly or 2 weekly. After the first occurrence it was
not possible to restart cyrus, because ctl_cyrusdb locked the database
forever while cleaning (forced it ctl_cyrusdb -r -x).

Machine: 2x Xeon 2.4 GHz / 2048 MB RAM / GDT8524RZ RAID 5 /Intel GigaBit
Adapter / Gentoo Linux 2.6.8-gentoo-r3 #2 SMP Kernel.

imapd.conf:
-----------

configdirectory:        /var/imap
partition-default:      /var/imap/part
sievedir:               /var/imap/sieve

tls_cert_file:          /etc/cyrusimapd/server.pem
tls_key_file:           /etc/cyrusimapd/server.pem
tls_ca_file:            /etc/cyrusimapd/server.pem

admins:                 xxxxx

hashimapspool:          yes
allowanonymouslogin:    no
allowplaintext:         yes

sasl_pwcheck_method:    saslauthd
autocreatequota: 15000000
altnamespace: yes
sasl_auto_transition: no
tls_cipher_list: TLSv1:SSLv3:SSLv2:!NULL:!EXPORT:!DES:!LOW:@STRENGTH

allowallsubscribe:      no
unixhierarchysep:       yes
lmtp_downcase_rcpt:     yes

cyrusimapd.conf:
----------------
START {
   recover       cmd="ctl_cyrusdb -r"
}

SERVICES {

   imaps         cmd="imapd -s" listen="imaps" prefork=15
   sieve         cmd="timsieved " listen="sieve" prefork=15

   lmtpunix      cmd="lmtpd" listen="/var/imap/socket/lmtp" prefork=15

}

EVENTS {
   checkpoint    cmd="ctl_cyrusdb -c" period=30

   delprune      cmd="ctl_deliver -E 3" period=1440

   tlsprune      cmd="tls_prune" period=1440

   squatter      cmd="squatter -r -s user" period=1440
}

Any ideas, please ?

CU

Michael