Redundant database query?

Patrick Gibson cyrus_info at patrickg.com
Fri Oct 29 20:59:26 EDT 2004

On 29-Oct-04, at 5:50 PM, Ken Murchison wrote:

> Patrick Gibson wrote:
>> I'm pretty new to SASL, so this business of old and new secrets is a
>> bit foreign to me. Given that this is a fresh setup, is there a way
>> for me to force the server to assume that all old secrets have been
>> upgraded to the new? Is this what the "sasl_auto_transition" option
>> is for?
>
> Not currently.  It might make sense to add an option to SASL which
> disables lookup of old secrets.  Before I started looking into this
> however, I'd really like to know what, if any, the performance hit
> making two auxprop queries really is.

My guess is that the performance hit would typically be pretty
marginal. I'm just thinking a bit into the future when there could be
several hundred mail logins happening at the same time while the server
is also serving dynamic web sites, etc, and wanting to make sure the
mail server is using only as many resources as it really needs to. I
guess for now I'll just live with a redundant query for every login...

Thanks for all your help!

Patrick