Redundant database query?

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Sat Oct 30 08:13:06 EDT 2004

Patrick Gibson wrote:
> On 29-Oct-04, at 5:50 PM, Ken Murchison wrote:
>
>> Patrick Gibson wrote:
>>
>>> I'm pretty new to SASL, so this business of old and new secrets is a
>>> bit foreign to me. Given that this is a fresh setup, is there a way
>>> for me to force the server to assume that all old secrets have been
>>> upgraded to the new? Is this what the "sasl_auto_transition" option
>>> is for?
>>

>> Not currently.  It might make sense to add an option to SASL which
>> disables lookup of old secrets.  Before I started looking into this
>> however, I'd really like to know what, if any, the performance hit
>> making two auxprop queries really is.
>

> My guess is that the performance hit would typically be pretty marginal.
> I'm just thinking a bit into the future when there could be several
> hundred mail logins happening at the same time while the server is also
> serving dynamic web sites, etc, and wanting to make sure the mail server
> is using only as many resources as it really needs to. I guess for now
> I'll just live with a redundant query for every login...

Keep in mind that its only redundant because you've hard-coded the
property in your SELECT statement.  The SASL mechs are actually
requesting two properties, but your SELECT statement isn't using the %p
variable, so every property gets mapped to PASSWORD.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127