How do I fix this: lmtp appears to be case sensitive

Dan Delaney dan-cyrus at fluidmind.org
Wed Nov 3 09:58:50 EST 2004

 > So systems are permitted to use case sensitive usernames, and
 > as such, case must be preserved in SMTP and LMTP transactions.
 > In practice of course this is rarely the case - usernames are
 > almost always case insensitive, so it rarely causes trouble.

That being the case, wouldn't it make sense to add the following lines
to the Cyrus distribution's default imapd.conf file?

# If  enabled, lmtpd will convert the recipient address to lowercase
# (up to a '+' character, if present).
#
lmtp_downcase_rcpt: yes

It seems like that would alleviate a lot of headaches for people who are
switching from using mbox or maildir to Cyrus. (I know it would have
helped ME this past week, as a ton of my users have been having problem
because people have been trying to send them mail with their usernames
capitalized.)

Consider that most people switching to Cyrus are using either sendmail,
postfix, qmail, or exim--ALL of which use case-INsensitive usernames.
Why not set Cyrus to be case-insensitive by default?

As it is now, the lmtp_downcase_rcpt option isn't even IN the default
imapd.conf file. So unless you look in the man page, you don't know it
exists.

--Dan