Cyrus 2.3 on shared filesystems

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Wed Nov 3 09:52:52 EST 2004

Attila Nagy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> There are the following lines in the changelog:
> "Added support for "unified" and "replicated" Murders. A Murder no
> longer has to have discrete frontend and backend servers; any one
> "unified" server can both proxy and serve local mailboxes (proxy
> functionality in proxyd and lmtpproxyd has been merged with imapd and
> lmtpd respectively), or all "replicated" servers can serve the same
> mailboxes from a shared filesystem."
>
> I will try to explain this to myself, please correct me, if I'm wrong.
>
> The unified approach seems to be simple. The client no longer has to be
> redirected to the given backend using the proxyd, or lmtpproxyd
> (previously called frontend), instead it can turn to any of the backends
> and the backend will know how to deal with that connection (serve as
> local, or proxy to another backend).

Correct.

> Which confuses me a little is the replicated mode. How does it differ
> from having multiple traditional (no murder) cyrus instances accessing
> the same storage?
>
> Is replicated murder consists of multiple backend server groups which
> has the same mailboxes? So murder will say that user.jsmith is on
> server1 AND server2, instead of just saying it's on server1 OR server2?

Yes.  Any machine in the Murder has local access to any mailbox.

Its designed to work on a shared filesystem SAN (GFS, QFS, CXFS) where
all of the machines have direct access to each mailbox, but each machine
has its own replicated copy of mailboxes.db.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127