imtest fails w/ "Authentication failed. no mechanism available"

Earl R Shannon ershanno at unity.ncsu.edu
Tue Nov 2 08:17:57 EST 2004

Hello,

I see the PLAIN mech being advertised by the server. I'd check and make
sure the SASL libraries can be found by the imtest client.

Regards,
Earl Shannon

OpenMacNews wrote:
> hi all,
>
> i've newly built/installed:
>
>        exim-4.43
>        cyrus-imap-2.28
>        cyrus-sasl-2.1.19
>
> on OSX 10.3.5
>
> plus, i've been moving to MySQL support for vitrual domanis using VExim ...
>
> so, at this point, exim seems to run fine, responding to send-tests,
> etc. as expected.
>
> when testing cyrus-imap w/ TLS, however, i'm having some issues.
> specifically, when i:
>
>        % /usr/local/cyrus-imap/bin/imtest -t "" -m plain -a testuser -p
> imap testdomain.com
>
> it fails with an "Authentication failed. no mechanism available":
>
>        S: * OK testserver.testdomain.com Cyrus IMAP4 v2.2.8 server ready
>        C: C01 CAPABILITY
>        S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+
> MAILBOX-REFERRALS NAMESPACE UIDPLUS ID NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT
> CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND BINARY SORT THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES
> ANNOTATEMORE IDLE STARTTLS LISTEXT LIST-SUBSCRIBED
>        S: C01 OK Completed
>        C: S01 STARTTLS
>        S: S01 OK Begin TLS negotiation now
>        verify error:num=18:self signed certificate
>        TLS connection established: TLSv1 with cipher AES256-SHA (256/256
> bits)
>        C: C01 CAPABILITY
>        S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+
> MAILBOX-REFERRALS NAMESPACE UIDPLUS ID NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT
> CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND BINARY SORT THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES
> ANNOTATEMORE IDLE AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=PLAIN SASL-IR LISTEXT
> LIST-SUBSCRIBED
>        S: C01 OK Completed
>        Authentication failed. no mechanism available
>        Security strength factor: 256
>
> now, i'll bet i've misconfigured something ... but durned if i can find
> it (yet).  i'm crusing the list, as well, but am not yet familiar enuf
> with what to even look for.
>
> fwiw, my imapd.conf is:
>
>        admins: testuser
>        postmaster: postmaster
>
>        virtdomains: yes
>
>        defaultdomain: testdomain.com
>        servername: testserver.testdomain.com
>
>        configdirectory: /etc/cyrus-imap/
>        partition-default: /var/spool/imap
>        sievedir: /var/sieve
>        sieve_maxscriptsize: 32
>        sieve_maxscripts: 5
>
>        autocreatequota: 10000
>        reject8bit: no
>        quotawarn: 90
>        timeout: 30
>        poptimeout: 10
>        dracinterval: 0
>        drachost: localhost
>        sendmail: /usr/local/exim/bin/exim
>
>        allowanonymouslogin: no
>        allowplaintext: yes
>        sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
>        sasl_mech_list: PLAIN
>
> any/all pointers/suggestions are much appreciated,
>
> richard
> ---

Systems Programmer ,Information Technology Division
NC State University.
http://www.earl.ncsu.edu

Anonymous child "Some people can tell the time by looking at the sun,
		 but I have trouble seeing the numbers."