Another mailbox submission address question

Patrick Gibson cyrus_info at patrickg.com
Wed Nov 3 15:02:03 EST 2004

I have a question about the mailbox submission addresses and
permissions...

Let's say I have a mailbox in my root called "notices". Let's also say
that I have set the ACL so that the user "patrick" can do everything,
and everyone else can just read.

 > lam notices
patrick lrswipcda
anyone lrs

I originally assumed that with these permissions, I would be able to
send a message to +notices at mydomain, and it would get delivered into
this mailbox. Instead, I get a "permission denied" bounceback. It then
occurred to me, that it would be difficult for Cyrus to safely identify
incoming emails coming from the user "patrick", as the email comes
through the MTA.

So, is it therefore the case that if you want to use the mailbox
submission addresses, they would basically have to be write-able by
anyone? And thus, if I didn't want to have that kind of ACL, the only
way to deliver messages into this folder would be to use my IMAP client
to drag a message in there?

Thanks,

Patrick