Another mailbox submission address question

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Wed Nov 3 15:24:23 EST 2004

Hi,

-- Patrick Gibson <cyrus_info at patrickg.com> is rumored to have mumbled on
Mittwoch, 3. November 2004 12:02 Uhr -0800 regarding Another mailbox
submission address question:

> I have a question about the mailbox submission addresses and
> permissions...
>
> Let's say I have a mailbox in my root called "notices". Let's also say
> that I have set the ACL so that the user "patrick" can do everything, and
> everyone else can just read.
>
>  > lam notices
> patrick lrswipcda
> anyone lrs
>
> I originally assumed that with these permissions, I would be able to send
> a message to +notices at mydomain, and it would get delivered into this
> mailbox. Instead, I get a "permission denied" bounceback. It then
> occurred to me, that it would be difficult for Cyrus to safely identify
> incoming emails coming from the user "patrick", as the email comes
> through the MTA.

exactly.

> So, is it therefore the case that if you want to use the mailbox
> submission addresses, they would basically have to be write-able by
> anyone?

Not writeable. 'p' is enough.

> And thus, if I didn't want to have that kind of ACL, the only way
> to deliver messages into this folder would be to use my IMAP client to
> drag a message in there?

Either that or authenticated LMTP. That seems tricky, however.
--
Sebastian Hagedorn M.A. - RZKR-R1 (Flachbau), Zi. 18, Robert-Koch-Str. 10
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK