POP3 re-downloading mail

Michael Nguyen michaeln at twentyten.org
Mon Nov 8 15:09:12 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene Rackow" <rackow at mcs.anl.gov>

> I've run into this with a number of pop based clients.  From what I have
> seen, the problem comes up on a client IF there was some sort of error
> that occured the previous time that client ran.  For example, the
> client for some reason disconnected in the middle of downloading a
message.
> There are 100 message on server.  The last 10 were not seen by the client
> yet so it was downloading those.  In the middle of message "new-9" or 99,
> an error occurred.  The client now gets confused about what it has and
> the next time it downloads, it starts over at message 1.  It's wrong,
> but it happens.  I would not blame the server unless I had a strong
> case that it really did recalc all message UIDL.

This is true.  The most common cause of this is a client error (e.g. a user
reinstalls Outlook Express thus removing the list of UIDs).  However,
Warrick's issue was that quite a few users were re-downloading email.  I
don't know how many users this really is, but if he's talking dozens of
users, it's far more likely that it had to do with the new server than
anything else.

[snip]

Michael