Anyone using a Blackberry PDA with Cyrus?

Andrew Caird a_caird at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 9 11:01:40 EST 2004

--- Gary Mills <mills at cc.umanitoba.ca> wrote:

> We have a few people who want to use a Blackberry PDA
> with our Cyrus e-mail system.  I understand that it does
> work, but the e-mail has to be managed twice, once on
> the PDA, and again with a desktop e-mail client.  Is
> there a way to make it more convenient?

Gary,

A long time back I looked at this as well.  There are a
couple of options I found, but never implemented.  I hope
there is more available now.

 1. Write your own sync'ing/data-passing layer at the BES;
I don't think this would be terribly hard, really, RIM
provides access to all of the Blackberry tools you'd need,
I'm pretty sure.  Personally, I think this would be an
excellent project for someone with development access to a
BES and a good cyrus imap installation (I have neither,
sorry).

 2. Use an IMAP(S)/WAP/web client on the Blackberry and
bypass its own email handling; this is only good when you
have a wireless connection, which decreases the utility of
the BB.

Good luck.
--andrew

Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.