pam_pwdfile

Simon Matter simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com
Tue Nov 16 01:44:04 EST 2004

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know how to configure cyrus with pam_pwdfile?
> I have already configure pam_pwdfile with the following steps:
>
> - sasl must be configured with `--with-pam --with-saslauthd
>   --enable-plain' and I disable the rest (checkapop, digest, otp, krb4,
> etc.)
> - imapd should be configured with `--with-auth=unix'
> - in imapd.conf you need the line
>         sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
> - start up saslauthd with `saslauthd -a pam'
>
> But I m not sure how to define imapd.conf and cyrus.conf for the use of
> pam_pwdfile.
>
> Does anyone got any example for it?

I don't know what pam_pwdfile is but I expect it to work like every other
PAM method. In that case, it should be quite easy. No special settings are
required for cyrus.conf, just select one of the examples, normal.conf or
prefork. For imapd.conf, the following auth options should do it:

sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
sasl_mech_list: PLAIN

Of course you have to configure the different PAM services which Cyrus
IMAP uses, like lmtp, imap, pop, sieve.

Regards,
Simon