pam_pwdfile

sam wun sam.wun at authtec.net
Tue Nov 16 02:02:27 EST 2004

Simon Matter wrote:

>>Hi,
>>
>>Does anyone know how to configure cyrus with pam_pwdfile?
>>I have already configure pam_pwdfile with the following steps:
>>
>>- sasl must be configured with `--with-pam --with-saslauthd
>>  --enable-plain' and I disable the rest (checkapop, digest, otp, krb4,
>>etc.)
>>- imapd should be configured with `--with-auth=unix'
>>- in imapd.conf you need the line
>>        sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
>>- start up saslauthd with `saslauthd -a pam'
>>
>>But I m not sure how to define imapd.conf and cyrus.conf for the use of
>>pam_pwdfile.
>>
>>Does anyone got any example for it?
>>

>I don't know what pam_pwdfile is but I expect it to work like every other
>PAM method. In that case, it should be quite easy. No special settings are
>required for cyrus.conf, just select one of the examples, normal.conf or
>prefork. For imapd.conf, the following auth options should do it:
>
>sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
>sasl_mech_list: PLAIN
>
>Of course you have to configure the different PAM services which Cyrus
>IMAP uses, like lmtp, imap, pop, sieve.

Hi, thanks for your email.
I have configured Cyrus uses pam:
# cat /etc/pam.d/imap
auth       required     /usr/local/lib/pam_pwdfile.so pwdfile
/usr/local/etc/imap.passwd
account    required     /usr/lib/pam_permit.so

Permission on imap.passwd is:
# ls -l imap.passwd
-rw-r--r--  1 cyrus  cyrus  147 Nov 16 05:56 imap.passwd

Thanks
Sam

--
Senior Security Architect/Consultant